Dog Training Classes Begin June 5th!
Class sizes are limited. Sign up today!
View our class calendar here.
How to Register:
Please provide proof that your dog is up to date on the following:
Can I bring my family to training class?
Families are encouraged to join their dog in training class. Please feel free to bring your spouse or older kids, however space is limited. We want to equip everyone in the home with the right tools you need to train your dog.
If I have to miss a class, will I be able to reschedule?
If you have to miss a class, please let the instructor know prior to class and we will plan a time to make up the material you missed.
If my dog is in heat can I still come to class?
If your dog is in heat or sick please don't bring them to class.
My dog has reactivity issues to people and/or other dogs. Can I enroll in this class?
Dogs with reactivity issues to people or other dogs are welcome. You will need to inform the instructor of your dogs issues before the first night of class so we can make proper arrangements .
Where can I register for the class?
You can submit a registration request online (see the above form) or fill out a registration request at the Humane Society of Southwest Missouri.
As a bonus, all our proceeds go directly back to helping homeless pets at the Humane Society of SW MO find loving new families.
Classes are limited to ten dogs each. The small class size ensures an environment conducive to learning. Must have 3 students enrolled in the class or the class will be rescheduled.
The first night of class each student will receive training packet. In this packet you will receive:
Training principles are based on positive reinforcement clicker training. To learn more about clicker training click here.
Supplies needed for class:
All currently enrolled students can purchase supplies at the Humane Society & receive 15% off!
Leash: A five- or six-foot leash (no retractable or chain leashes).
Collar/Harness: Martingale collar, buckle collar or training harness.
Treat carrier: A bag, pouch, fanny pack, apron with pocket or deep pocket that provides easy access to treats.
Treats: Lots of small, easy-to-chew, high-value treats. Cut up pieces of cheese or hot dogs are good choices, as are soft treats made specifically for training. (Experiment in advance to discover what your puppy really loves.)
Bed, mat or rug: Soft surface your puppy can learn to lie down on.
Chew toy or stuffed Kong: Toys will be used for reward and during down times.
Poo Bags: Be kind and clean up after your pet please.
Dog identification tags: If you come with a dog, lets make sure you go home with a dog... or two! We do have dogs here for adoption you know!
Come prepared to have fun and bond with your dog!
Also, please be courteous of the following Classroom Rules:
1. Please be courteous of your classmates and instructor and be on time. Arriving 15 minutes before class is recommended. This gives your dog time to get settled in and to relieve themselves before class.
2. Please ask before you pet or let your dog meet any other dogs in class. If there is time we can do some socialization, but just because your dog in friendly other may not be and that's what they are here to work on.
3. All puppies must be 5 months of age and had their 3rd round of vaccinations prior to class.
4. Don't feed your dog before class
5. Before the first class you must show proof of the following vaccines:
7. Please silence all cell phones during class.
8. Please come prepared to class with your supplies or be prepared to purchase supplies from the Humane Society's Retail selection with at 15% off student discount!
9. Use positive reinforcement with your dog, keep a positive attitude during the class!
10. Have fun & get to know your dog!