The Humane Society of Southwest Missouri is an independent, 501(c)3 non-profit organization licensed by the Missouri Department of Agriculture. As one of the largest NO-KILL shelters in Southwest Missouri, the Humane Society welcomes all cats and dogs through its doors, and commits all available resources to not only help them find their forever home, but heal the wounds both visible and unseen. Funding for the organization comes from private donations. We do not receive any funding from the Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society of Missouri, SPCA, or any government agencies.
HISTORY The Humane Society of Southwest Missouri was incorporated on October 19, 1956, as a non-profit organization dedicated to homeless animals. It was originally called the Greene County Humane Society, Inc., and then changed to the Southwest Missouri Humane Society on December 30, 1978.
The shelter building sits on ten acres of land donated by Ruby S. Vella. The original building was built in 1960, and small additions were made to the existing building over time, along with satellite buildings for storage, etc.
In 2005 a capital campaign committee was formed to raise the money necessary to build a state-of-the-art facility to replace the aging, crowded buildings. Operations were moved to the new facility in September of 2009 and the organization’s name was changed to the Humane Society of Southwest Missouri.
OUR MISSION The mission of the Humane Society of Southwest Missouri is to aid in the alleviation of distress and suffering of animals by operating a shelter for animals in need of care, placing animals in suitable homes, and offering educational programs that promote animal welfare.
OUR VISION We strive to be the region’s leading shelter with the financial and community support to guarantee the welfare of animals and will be focused on controlling pet overpopulation and the reduction of homeless pets in our community.